- Securities & Complex Commercial Litigation
- Regulatory Enforcement Defense
- White Collar Defense, Investigations & Compliance Counseling
- LL.M., Securities & Financial Regulation, with distinction, Georgetown University Law Center, 2015
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2014
- B.A., cum laude, Wake Forest University, 2010
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Thomas (“Tom”) DeFranco is a partner resident in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. His practice is focused on securities, complex commercial litigation, regulatory investigations, and enforcement actions. Mr. DeFranco has obtained successful results for his clients at virtually every stage of litigation in both state and federal court. He represents and advises asset managers and other clients throughout investigations by, and in responding to enforcement charges from, financial regulatory agencies such as the Securities & Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. These representations touch on a wide variety of issues, including allegations of disclosure or offering fraud, insider trading, market manipulation, and the failure to maintain adequate policies and procedures.
Mr. DeFranco also represents clients subject to investigation by the Department of Justice, and most significantly has represented several clients in connection with two of the most significant pharmaceutical industry investigations of the last decade.
He is proud to maintain a robust pro bono practice that has involved work on behalf of clients such as Sanctuary for Families, Innocence Project, and the Federal Public Defenders Office. In 2019, Mr. DeFranco was honored with Sanctuary for Families’ Above & Beyond Pro Bono Achievement Award for his work representing a victim of domestic abuse in a child custody dispute.
Prior to joining McGonigle, P.C., Mr. DeFranco worked in the Litigation group of Schulte, Roth & Zabel LLP.